Saturday, February 21, 2015

Baba and Amir

           The relationship between Baba and Amir is pretty complicated at times throughout the novel. There are times that Baba almost ignores Amir in his presence and there are times that he realizes Amir's worthiness. During the beginning of the novel Amir said something that shows an abstract meaning of their relationship. He states it as, "But mostly because, as the trees froze and ice sheathed the roads, the chill between Baba and me thawed a little. And the reason for that was the kites. Baba and I lived in the same house, but in different spheres of existence, kites where the one paper thin slice of intersection between those spheres" (49). Up until the death of Baba, Amir tries his hardest to prove his worthiness to him. The only way he thought possible was winning the the kite tournament, which Baba did respect him after, but only for a short time. He even feels like Baba is almost always disappointed in him from his cowardice and not being emotionally strong. Amir feels pretty depressed from it, but in his own eyes can see it as true. After a long time of silence with Hassan, Amir proved to himself and Baba that he isn't strong with his problems. An example from talking to Baba states, He put on his gloves again. "I grew up with Allie," he said through clenched teeth. Forty years Ali's been with my family. Forty goddamn years. And you think I'm going to just throw him out?" He turned to me now, his face as red as a tulip. "I've never laid a hand on you, Amir, but you ever say that again..." He looked away shaking his head. "You bring me shame. An Hassan... Hassan's not going anywhere, do you understands?" (90). This proves that Baba does have shame in Amir, which Amir only makes it harder on himself. Their relationship does eventually get better over time as Amir grows into an adult and he gets what he finally wanted, a caring father. From all the problems Amir and Baba have gone through, I feel pretty badly for Amir. All he wanted was a caring father to love back and it he didn't have that as a kid, so that's why I feel bad for him. Overall, I feel the relationship hasn't been very leveled throughout the novel, but it made me feel better when Baba made up for all of it in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment